Let’s be honest, one of the easiest things to do when you’re ready for a snack is to grab a few chips or heck, even make another cup of coffee. Believe me, I’ve been there. I live on coffee and sarcasm.
Because, you’ve got goals you want to meet, right? Well, if you’re only snacking on chips and empty calories, it’s going to make it pretty tough to meet those goals, right?
It’s an easy fix. You just need some healthy snack ideas to incorporate into your daily routine. Gotcha covered.
As a coach, I am a huge fan of flexible dieting which is basically the 80/20 rule. Eating 80% high quality and high nutrient food, and leaving the more “empty calories” to the 20%.
What tends to happen though with lots of gals is that their meals are pretty on target in regards to good quality food, but they piece meal throughout the day.
We’ve all been there, right? Heck yeah we have! We’re working or hanging out with our kiddos and focused in on the task at hand and realize, “Hey, I’m hungry. But… crap, nothing is fixed to eat. How about a few chips or some more coffee.”
I’ve been there! TOTALLY been there. You’re not alone.
Let’s be clear, I’m not saying to not ever have chips for a snack. Because, that’d be no fun. Who doesn’t love a bowl of guac and cheese dip and tortilla chips?
There are times where my little man and I will sit down after his naptime and eat an awesome bowl of guac and tortilla chips then head outside into the sunshine. I mean, who doesn’t love that?
It’s when we make those types of snacks the normal snack that it can backfire.
Here’s my point… The majority of your snacks should be a great balance between protein, fats, and carbs as you’ll see outlined below!
Because, here’s the deal.
When we eat what I call “empty snacks” it doesn’t fuel our body best.
So let’s talk about some healthy snacks that are super easy to make and grab out of the fridge so you stay right on track even on your busiest of days.
22 Healthy Snack Ideas
- 1 hard boiled egg with a sprinkle of salt, carrot sticks, rice cakes
- Small handful of cubed cheese, banana, and bell pepper
- Hummus and veggie sticks
- 1/3 of a cup of guacamole and blue corn chips
- Clean lunch meat with a few cubes of cheese and whole grain crackers
- Tub of plan Greek yogurt with fresh berries mixed in
- Steamed edamame (you can grab a steamable bag in the freezer section!) and a small handful of nuts
- Energy/protein bar (watch sugar content!)
- Peanut butter and banana on killer Dave’s whole grain bread
- Rice cakes, avocado, and hard boiled egg
- Popcorn and small handful of nuts
- 2 TBSP of peanut butter and banana
- A few cheese cubes, cucumber and bell peppers
- Celery, peanut butter and a few dark chocolate chips (Wait, what?! Chocolate chips?? Yeah girl. Dark chocolate with natural peanut butter that doesn’t have added sugar is super satisfying!)
- A few pretzels, clean lunch meat, and a small amount of cheese
- Plan Greek yogurt dip, [homemade – make with dill seasoning, onion powder, and a dash of salt] and stick veggies
- Stick veggies and prosciutto
- A few cheese cubes and small handful of almonds
- Cottage Cheese, pretzels sticks and banana
- Hard boiled egg, pretzel sticks, and blueberries
- Popcorn, 2 TBSP of peanut butter and grapes
- Clean lunch meat, hard boiled egg, blackberries
See? There’s so many different options for snacks.
It really takes just thinking outside the box to come up with some of the best snack ideas.
We tend to think easy means that it is pre-made. When that’s not necessarily the case! Having great snacks doesn’t have to be hard, it simply takes a bit of planning. Which, you’re totally a planner so this will be much easier than you think!
Remember, we can’t keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results, right? I mean, when you want something to stay the same, you keep doing that same thing over and over!
Same thing goes for your snacks and food. If you’re expecting different results than what you have right now, you’ve got to make adjustments.
Take a little bit of extra time to plan your snacks and then actually eat those snacks and you will be amazed at how much more satisfied you feel with your daily eating.
One final tip I’ll leave you with-
Make your snacks heavier on the protein side and don’t automatically go for a carb. The protein will keep you feeling full longer. ?
Hang in there, mama! You’ve got this!